When looking for an agency, it’s useful to have a list of do’s and don’ts to avoid making mistakes
When joining an Introduction Agency or Marriage Bureau…
- Always check that they are a member of the ABIA. Only ABIA agencies are bound to comply with their stringent code of practice.
- Ask how many introductions you can reasonably expect to be given within your selected age range and area.
- Use your membership sensibly. You must communicate with your agency to maximise your chances of enjoying a successful membership.
- Persevere with your membership – success doesn’t always happen overnight. If you are unhappy about the way things are going, tell the agency as soon as possible to give them a chance to rectify the situation.
- Join an agency using a PO Box number.
- Join an agency using a premium rate telephone number.
- Join an agency which is not prepared to give you details of their fees on the phone or in their literature.
- Part with any membership fee without having been given the opportunity to visit the agency.
- Join an agency that cannot offer a minimum guarantee.
That First Meeting…
- Be sensible – meet up for a quick drink or cup of coffee rather than commit yourself to spending a whole evening with someone who may not be your ideal partner.
- Be positive about yourself – a bright, cheerful attitude to life is much more appealing than a negative one.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Be polite if you decide you don’t want to meet up again. It’s much nicer to say ‘I’ve had a really nice evening but feel that we’re not suited for a long term relationship’ than to promise you’ll ring and have no intention of doing so.
- Be yourself – don’t pretend to be something you’re not!
- Talk endlessly about your failed relationships – it can be off-putting!
- Drink too much or constantly run yourself down.
- Take the children along on the first date.
- Visit anyone without being invited.
- Feel pressurised into starting a physical relationship before you feel the time is right